Hi.

My dad, one of the most important people in my life, died on May 21st, 2015. His name was Oliver Milton. This was after an 11 month fight with Stage 4 Bladder cancer. He was one of the most important people in my life and I miss him greatly. He died at age 71.

His birthday was May 20th and we had a small party in ICU with a cake and cards the day before he passed. His doctors and nurses were there with immediate family. I am grateful I made it out to see him before the end but I am still very consumed by grief.

I have a great group of friends and family helping me through it and I feel kind of selfish for posting this, but I want him to be remembered as a father, a great family man, and my best friend. We did a lot together and I will never forget it.

If you are fighting cancer, please know that your close friends and family are grateful for every single day we have with you. If you see yourself in a long-odds diagnosis. please PLEASE do not isolate yourself. Make time for your friends and family. Spend your good days with them doing things YOU (not them) love. They will not begrudge a minute! They WANT TO BE WITH YOU for whatever you want to do.

Long-odds or not (and this is to a lot of the males)... don't be stubborn. If people want to pay for a dinner or show or round of golf it isn't because they see you as dying or sick.... it is because they want to be around you and build memories, REGARDLESS of the outcome. They aren't writing you off... they are enjoying your presence and company. Know this and go with it.

-Stephen Milton