Friday, March 6, 2009

"Not until I went into the churches of America...secret of her genius and power." Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville was part of my 're-learning' when I found that I had been lied to -by omission and commission by the text - book writers and teachers of my public schools.
I read that the motto of the Revolution was : No King But King Jesus!
When I was informed of the quote below -by Alexis de Tocqueville-it made sense that he would see where the underlying strength of the new nation came from:

I sought for the key to the greatness and genius of America in her harbors...; in her fertile fields and boundless forests; in her rich mines and vast world commerce; in her public school system and institutions of learning. I sought for it in her democratic Congress and in her matchless Constitution.

Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power.

The safeguard of morality is religion, and morality is the best security of law as well as the surest pledge of freedom.

The Americans combine the notions of Christianity and of liberty so intimately in their minds, that it is impossible to make them conceive the one without the other

Christianity is the companion of liberty in all its conflicts -- the cradle of its infancy, and the divine source of its claims.

C-CS

No comments: