Saturday, August 8, 2009

Crusaders' Hymn-Beautiful Savior...

BEAUTIFUL SAVIOR is my Sunday Faith blog subject...

The lyrics were written by German Jesuits as Schonster Herr Jesu.
It was published in the Munster Gesangbach 1677.
It is sung to the Silesian Folk Tune -CRUSADERS' HYMN!!

1. Beautiful Savior,
King of Creation,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Truly I'd love Thee,
Truly I'd serve Thee,
Light of my soul, my Joy, my Crown.

2. Fair are the meadows,
Fair are the woodlands,
Robed in flowers of blooming spring;
Jesus is fairer,
Jesus is purer;
He makes our sorrowing spirit sing.

3. Fair is the sunshine,
Fair is the moonlight,
Bright the sparkling stars on high;
Jesus shines brighter,
Jesus shines purer,
Than all the angels in the sky.

4. Beautiful Savior,
Lord of the nations,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor,
Praise, adoration,
Now and forevermore be Thine!

a Blessed Sabbath to you all...


4 comments:

Z said...

WONDERFUL hymn, thanks Carol!
Our morning was ALL PRAISE (I like SOME, but..) so this was doubly refreshing to THIS soul!!
xx

christian soldier said...

Z-I so glad you enjoyed it-it is one my favorites...
BTW-I prefer a mixture too!

Always On Watch said...

It is sung to the Silesian Folk Tune -CRUSADERS' HYMN!!

I've always loved that hymn -- I grew up singing it.

But I never knew that the tune was that of the Crusader's Hymn!

I'll have to dig out my special arrangement for piano and polish up my rendition.

christian soldier said...

AOW-I did- and even sang it- it was fun to get back to the old hymnal...