Wednesday, September 16, 2009

LRAD-Military Weapon-Brought to Townhall Meetings ...For the GOOD...

Whenever I hear a government official say the words.."for the good.." I shudder...
It was brought to the Town Hall meetings in San Diego ...
The military LRAD --Long Range Acoustic Device was purchased w/a Homeland Security grant ...
This is the second time I agree with the ACLU--!!!!!--Now I'm really afraid--I never agreed w/ the ACLU before B Hussein Obama came to office....
I have Highlighted the troubling words in RED....

http://www.10news.com/news/20931535/detail.html................There is a video at the link as well.....

The device was originally made to be used for war, and it emits high-pitched sounds as a form crowd control.On Monday, members of the American Civil Liberties Union spoke with 10News, and they expressed outrage that local law enforcement had the device and that they had brought it to recent town hall meetings in case things got out of hand.Kevin Keenan, of the ACLU, said, "We think that local law enforcement shouldn't be using military style weaponry like that."On Tuesday, Ed Musgrove of the sheriff's department told 10News the device was only being used for good, like helping search-and-rescue teams and warning residents during fires or floods."So, it will never be used in San Diego as a weapon?" asked 10News' Ariana Duarte."No, not by the Sheriff's Department, no," said Musgrove."And that's a guarantee?""Yes."San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore was recently quoted saying the LRAD was purchased for events "should there be any problems." He also added, "We could use the LRAD in place of pepper spray."Duarte asked the sheriff's department about the comment and they said it was probably a poor choice of words and insisted that the device was only here to help."If the issue was getting the message out to people that need to hear it, then this is the device to do it," said Musgrove."So, is it used to startle them?" asked Duarte."No.""Then how is it comparable to pepper spray?""I don't know that I would make that comparison."The LRAD cost the sheriff's department $27,000, and it was paid for with money from a 2007 Homeland Security grant

6 comments:

shoprat said...

I an surprised that the ACLU is objecting.

Anonymous said...

I read the news every day and shudder. What's new!

Keep bloggin for the good guys!!

christian soldier said...

SR-I am too!!!-Maybe God allowed it -ACLU - to exist-for His purpose-maybe I'm reaching---but--I never thought that I would agree w/ it-

NG-Sometimes I get so angry that I have to back off-take a walk or paint a painting!!!
Thank you for your encouragement...I will continue the fight as I know - you will too...

MathewK said...

Agreeing with the ACLU, yes that is a bit of a worry, but then you have to look at their reasons and your reasons. From what i know of them, their reasons are usually nefarious.

christian soldier said...

MK-nefarious is the word for the ACLU - I've been following it for 30 + years and find its goals and actions to be always counter to mine ...That's why I am surprised at this...

Farhad Kazemi said...

Hmmmmm...American Police/Military using military technology on American Citizen...isn't there some kinda law in the constitution against that?
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.overview.html